twilyte*abandon: Penny for Your Thoughts

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Penny for Your Thoughts

If only she knew that I have begun to comprehend her struggles.
Late on rent. Angry collectors. Knowing when its too costly to eat.
Trying to provide the best for those your love and barely scraping by to make it.
Sometimes not making it at all.
Selling your possessions just to keep as close to comfortable that you can.
When every dollar counts. When every fraction of a penny has meaning.
Because you hope that they can all come together to give one lasting something... anything.

I hate to see that you struggle like me.
Because you have always worked hard to keep what you have.
To have better. To provide better. At all costs.
Me, I'm just beginning. Entering the world stage left.
Still finding my control and my whims.
Pushing my limits and realizing what it means to break them.

But now as I grow older and I see things so similar to you, I really wish I could help you because you deserve it. When I left, I honestly felt that you were well off. New husband. New baby. New home. New life. Living downtown with a fridge of expensive chocolate.
I thought you wouldn't struggle like we did.
Like you did for me when I was little.
But here we are, turning point of an era.
Part of a generation where money is deteriorating by the second.
And I hate to see that you're still working so hard to keep it all together.

You never fail at making me feel at home.
You never fail at making my heart miss you.
Home cooked meals. Laughter only family can provide.
I know now that though we are so similar,
we insist on a difference to keep us apart.
But though our pockets are empty and our worrisome hearts are full,
I wish you knew that I see you and that I wish so many of the same wishes that you do.

No comments: